David’s Life Story
Moving to California in the early 80’s, he completed his education at San Diego State University and ended up working in the loan department of Homestead Savings bank south of San Francisco. The consummate entrepreneur, he purchased a bicycle shop in Foster City, adding two more locations before selling the enterprise a decade later. He inventoried parts and shipped them all over the country, an unusual offering at the time.
a couple of Oscar Wilde plays and discovered his enjoyment behind the camera, both filming and utilizing his creative talent in writing screen plays.
David “discovered” Venice Beach in the mid 90’s, settling into what was to become his true gift, developing and designing apartments that he owned and managed. It was during this time he met Greg Flavall, a general contractor and future business partner with whom he later formed Hemp Technologies. After liquidating most of his real estate in Venice Beach, and the death of his special dog, Quinn, he bought a sailboat named WonderLust and set sail for Mexico, an 18 month long adventure.
Drawn to Asheville for the mountains, and the river that ran through them David came in 2007, enjoying the biking, hiking, camping and rafting opportunities as well as the many close friendships he developed. Fortunate or synergistic, his family who had lived in various places around the country also settled in Asheville during this time. David’s sister, Kathi, and brother Brad, both worked with him in his business ventures.
- Building the first Platinum LEED and PassivHaus Certified hemp house in the world
- Completing 2 other Hemp houses in Asheville, NC
- Building a hemp office for Hemp Oil Canada
- Building a French Colonial masterpiece in Waynesville, NC
- Organizing the collaboration of Hemp Farmers across Canada for consistent supply of materials
- Helping to formulate less expensive lime binders for use in building
- Co-ordinating the testing of different hemp/lime mixes at the University of Manitoba
- Designing a passive solar hemp home for the Ministry of Housing in Winnipeg
- Plans for an expansive Virgina Beach residence to start construction early 2013
- Tireless educational workshops for DIY hemp building
- Priceless consulting with people wanting to know more about Hemp building
He enjoyed people fully, understanding them, assisting their growth as he saw opportunities. Many speak of how he touched them with his spiritual nature, spreading Eckhart Tolle’s “being” philosophy or “A Course in Miracles” readings. He was an accomplished Yoga practitioner, and a creator on every level from building design, writing, gardening, cooking and the watercolor and acrylic mediums, he took up in the last months of his life.
David, we’ll miss you mate