long lasting, highly absorbent, bio-degradable
How much bedding for your horse?
Add 1 bag every 7-10 days to replace what’s been mucked-out of the stall.
Replace all bedding every 10-12 weeks.
”Hemp is the # 1 choice for dust allergic horses in Germany. The advantages are:
- it is absolutely dust free
- it is very soft
- it is not eaten by the horses
- only small amounts needed (1 bale of 15 kg/week/box)
- it minimizes your daily mucking out (only removing of dung daily, wet patches once a week, complete box every three months)
- all urine goes straight to bottom and the surface stays clean and dry
- the soaking capacity is much higher than with straw (straw = 100 %, wood shavings 200-300%, hemp 400-500% !)
- it keeps the smell of used bedding under the dry surface (unlike used straw)
- it reduces the volume of your muck heap enormously
- it rots much faster than straw and can be used as fertiliser after short time period
- and - it's affordable!
Comparison of bedding materials
You see, I am absolutely convinced of hemp bedding. My Paint Horse mare is highly allergic to dust and starts coughing when she is in contact with dry straw or hay. Hay can be watered before feeding but I had to find an alternative for the bedding, as wood shavings are also too dusty despite the producers claim it to be "dust free". So I ended up with Hemp bedding. Since I have been using that for her bedding she never coughs and her breathing capacity improved” ……says Christina from Germany.
For stalls measuring 3.5m x 3.5m (~130 sqft) a depth of 100mm (4”) is achieved using 10 x 15kg bags.
The correct way to use this product is completely different to other products, especially saw dust.
STEP 2. Spread HempBed evenly across the stable floor (shown here)
STEP 3. Sprinkle 2 litres of water for every 10 bags of HempBed. This will activate the unique absorbency characteristics.
STEP 4. Remove the moist clumps and manure daily by simply digging out the affected areas and replace with fresh Hemp bedding as required (approx. 1/2 bucket per day). DO NOT turnover or disturb the remainder of the stable bedding. Leave the unpolluted Hemp bedding to do its job. You will appreciate having only to replace the small affected areas.
HempBed Instruction brochure (752kb)